Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Ouch. OUCH.

So my right calf / shin / ankle has been hurting me quite a bit since the Over the Bridge run. There's a twinge there, and sometimes when I run it feels like my leg might collapse under me. This morning I ended up walking for most of my run.

So here's my plan.
  • Rest the leg tomorrow and Thursday. See how things feel Friday. If still bad, escalate it to a doctor. Note to self: get off arse and find doctor. Before your Pill prescription runs out.
  • Check out different running shoes. My heel feels like it's moving about a bit much in my shoes, even though it's improved since I put insoles in.
I feel like a lazy quitter by not running properly, but I'm in week 4 of my 31-week program, and I want to fix this before it gets worse.

It's the right thing to do, isn't it?

Isn't it?

5 comments:

skipsaw said...

Hey Riona - I feel your pain. You probably already know about this place, but when Stacy and i were living in Seattle, we used to go to the Seattle Running Company in Capitol Hill for gait analysis, new shoes, advice, etc. The staff there is very good. If you tell them about your problems, I'm sure they can help you out one way or another. Good luck.

http://www.seattlerunningcompany.com/

- Skip S.

Noames said...

Such a pain, having, er... pain...

Anyway, resting is frustrating, but probably the right thing to do. I'd wait to buy new shoes until after seeing a doctor, because if it's not a shoe issue, you'll be mad about having paid for shoes uselessly.

But hopefully a little rest and stretching will make it all better.

Look at me, talking like I have a clue. :)

Riona said...

Hi Skip! I love that store. In fact, that's where I got my current shoes - they did a gait analysis, and the shoes they recommended made a big difference. I'm gonna rest up till Saturday morning, and see how that works out.

Naomi, thanks for the tips ...

Tricia said...

Super Jock 'n Jill up at Greenlake is another good place to go for shoes. I'll have to check out the SRC, though.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your pain. Muscle soreness / tiredness is to be expected, pain is not.

Good luck with your search for a doc; mine are all in Federal Way where I used to work, so I'm going to have to find some local ones, too.

Riona said...

Tricia, you're totally right - pain hurts, whereas I get a weird sense of satisfaction from muscle soreness. It's proof I've been working hard.

I'll try Super Jock n Jill and try to resist cute shorts. I've developed a weakness for running clothes that I. must. fight.